KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Back on Rocky Top and kicking off a five-game homestand, the No. 11/12 Tennessee Volunteers host Western Carolina in midweek action Tuesday night at Lindsey Nelson Stadium, with first pitch scheduled for 6:30 p.m. ET.
Tennessee (15-6, 0-3 SEC) looks to rebound after a tough start to SEC play. The Vols struggled to get the bats going during a cold weekend in Columbia, Missouri, but are back within the friendly confines of Lindsey Nelson Stadium where they are averaging 9.9 runs per game.
PROJECTED STARTING PITCHERS
LHP Zander Sechrist (0-0, 0.77 ERA) vs. RHP Dante Visconti (2-1, 6.19 ERA)
Tuesday’s game will stream on SEC Network+ and the ESPN app with Zack Nelson (PxP) on the call. The online broadcast can be accessed on any mobile device through WatchESPN. WatchESPN can be accessed through the ESPN App, or online at espn.com/watch.
Fans can also listen to the Voice of Tennessee Baseball, John Wilkerson, call the action on the Vol Network (FM 99.1/AM 990) or via a free audio stream on UTSports.com and the Tennessee Athletics Gameday App.
Overall: Tennessee leads, 25-7
in Knoxville: Tennessee leads, 17-4
in Cullowhee: Tennessee leads, 6-3
at Neutral Sites: Tennessee leads, 1-0
Last 10 Meetings: 9-1
Last Meeting: W, 11-1 (March 30, 2022, in Knoxville)
The Vols have been impressive in midweek games under Vitello, posting a 57-9 overall record in such games since 2018. UT is 5-1 in midweek contests this season, outscoring their opponents 63-11 with a pair of shutouts.
Getting on the board early in games has been important for the Vols so far this season. UT is 12-1 when scoring first this year but is just 3-5 when its opponent opens the scoring. Tennessee is 8-1 when scoring in the first inning, as well.
VFLs IN THE WORLD BASEBALL CLASSIC
Two VFLs represented the Vols in the 2023 World Baseball Classic. Liam Spence and Team Australia made it through the Group Stage before being eliminated by Cuba in the quarterfinals, while Julio Borbon served as the first base coach for the Dominican Republic. The finals for the event take place Tuesday night with Team USA facing the winner of Japan and Mexico at 7 p.m. ET in Miami, Florida, at loanDepot Park
Western Carolina Catamounts
- 2023 Record: 9-11 (0-0 SoCon)
- 2022 Record: 26-31-1 (9-11-1 SoCon)
- 2022 Postseason: –
- 2023 SoCon Preseason Poll: 6th
- 2023 SoCon Preseason Player of the Year: Pascanel Ferreras, SS
- 2023 Preseason All-SoCon Team
- First Team: Pascanel Ferreras (SS)
- Second Team: Nate Stocum (OF)
- Head Coach: Alan Beck (First season)
- Stat Leaders:
- Average: Pascanel Ferreras (.351)
- OBP: Pascanel Ferreras (.456)
- SLG: Pascanel Ferreras (.568)
- Hits: Pascanel Ferreras (26)
- Runs: Pascanel Ferreras, Zach Ketterman (17)
- RBIs: Pascanel Ferreras, Zach Ketterman, Nate Stocum (18)
- Doubles: Zach Ketterman, Brandon Butterworth (5)
- Triples: Brandon Butterworth (3)
- Home Runs: Zach Ketterman, Nate Stocum (5)
- ERA: Dylan Wheeler (0.82)
- WHIP: Dylan Wheeler (1.09)
- BAA: Dylan Wheeler (.158)
- Innings Pitched: Matt Schepel (24.0)
- Strikeouts: Matt Schepel, Kyle Riesselmann (24)
- Wins: Dante Visconti, Nick Torres, Dylan Wheeler (2)
- Saves: Gavin Mortenson (2)
Tennessee opens its SEC home schedule, welcoming Texas A&M to Rocky Top for a three-game series beginning Friday night at 6:30 p.m. ET.