KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WOKI / WVLT) — Emergency crews closed Fort Dickerson Park in South Knoxville on Friday as search teams worked to locate a person who reportedly entered Augusta Quarry and never resurfaced.
According to the Knoxville Police Department, witnesses reported that a man jumped into the quarry Thursday night and did not return to the surface.
The Knox County Rescue Squad began a search operation Friday morning at the popular swimming destination.
“It is undetermined if the man made it out of the water, but crews are conducting a thorough search out of an abundance of caution,” KPD said in a statement.
Authorities have not released the identity of the individual or provided additional details about the circumstances surrounding the incident.
Popular Swimming Spot
Augusta Quarry, located within Fort Dickerson Park in South Knoxville, has become a popular recreation area for swimmers, kayakers and outdoor enthusiasts.
The quarry reopened to the public last year following extensive renovations and safety improvements.
That reopening came shortly after another swimmer went missing in the quarry, prompting renewed discussions about public safety at the site.
Previous Fatality at the Quarry
The latest search follows another deadly incident at Augusta Quarry earlier this year.
In April, 35-year-old Kayla Eddington died after authorities said she was believed to have accidentally fallen or jumped into the quarry.
Friday’s search operation marks the second major water-related emergency at the site in 2026.
Park Closure Remains in Effect
Officials say Fort Dickerson Park will remain closed while search efforts continue.
There is currently no estimate on when the park will reopen to the public.
Authorities are asking visitors to stay away from the area and allow emergency responders to safely conduct their operations.
The investigation remains ongoing.








